Caring for your hair extensions
Just like your natural hair, human hair extensions require a certain amount of care. If you want your hair extensions to stay looking beautiful, here’s some tips on how you can maintain them.
1. Separate your hair bonds daily, using your fingers to prevent tangling at the root. Do this once a day, in the morning if possible. If you only commit to one thing when looking after your hair extensions, let it be this. It will only take a few minutes.
2. Wash your extensions in the shower like you would your natural hair. Use warm, not hot water, as heat can have a negative effect on both your natural hair and the hair extensions. And ensure that the water flows down your back as you stand in an upright position. Flipping your hair over can introduce tangling issues.
Wash gently so you don’t loosen the extensions. We can recommend an aftercare range for your hair extensions, shampoo and conditioner that won’t affect the hair extension bonds, causing them to slip or come loose, and which won’t affect the quality of the hair.
Make sure you wash only the scalp with shampoo. Use sulfate-free shampoo. Sulfates can dry out the natural oils in your hair causing split ends and making your hair look dry or frizzy. Use a moisturizing formula shampoo instead.
Prevent drying out your extensions by washing them every day. On days that you don’t wash your hair, give it a gentle rinse and use some conditioner. Recommended frequency of wash depends. If you have thick, dry hair and don’t use too much product, you won’t need to wash it as often as someone with thin, oily hair who styles it daily.
3. Restrict conditioner application to the mid-lengths and ends only, working it all the way into the roots of your hair. If you have braids or curly extensions, you should use a leave-in conditioner during the day.
4. Never go to bed while your permanent hair extensions are wet. Wet hair will bunch up causing tangling and matting. Blow-dry your hair and secure it before you sleep. In a braid if you have long hair, or a ponytail if short.
5. Whether wet or dry, brush your hair slowly and gently, always with a hair extension hair brush, making sure you remove any tangles patiently without pulling on the hair extensions.
If you’re in London and you need further hair extensions advice, do drop by and see us.
020 7751 5673
81 Westbourne Park Road